So you have some time off from work, but the concept of gathering the family or friends and taking off on a plane somewhere does not fit the budget. Instead of scraping the bottom of the financial barrel to have some fun and relaxation time, opt in for a staycation! We have some tips and ideas that will make your local vacation one of worthiness.
- Rules and Tips
A staycation is the term for an “at home” holiday. Because you are spending a bit more time at home, it is vital to put in place some rules to avoid getting caught up in home life. In order to avoid making your staycation a bore, you must AVOID:
- Work emails/tasks
Try and shy away from anything that you would not normally be able to do if you were on a tropical island, away from home. Keep your worries at bay and clean the house, do chores and homework prior to the start of your vacation.
- Local Activities
Regardless of which city you live in, there are loads of free/cheap things to do in every town. Some of our favourites include:
- Become a tourist: pick up a brochure of your very own town and go on an adventure!
- Picnic at a park: Check out Telegraph for a list of London’s favourite picnic spots
Get smart at a library: Gather the family for some book fun! Many libraries have free activities to participate in daily.
- Visit a museum: Loads of museums offer free admission, so go educate yourself at whatever museum you fancy! The National History Museum always has something going on.
- Get some exercise: Hit up a hiking trail, try a new bike path, or take on a long stroll along the water with your date.
- At Home Activities
Balance your in-town adventures with things to do from home. Step up your staycation game by:
- Camping in the backyard: Who says you have to travel far to pitch a tent and tell ghost stories?
- Spa day: Opt in for a long bath, face masks, and nail panting
- TV or movie binge: Have some friends over and spend a day binging your favourite show or movie on Netflix
- Order takeaway: Don’t lift a finger in the kitchen and order dinner and desert from your favourite place who deliver to your door quickly and efficiently.
- Games night: Crack out a deck of cards, pour some drinks, and have a laugh or two with friends and family playing a classic card game.
The sky’s the limit with all of the possibilities to make your staycation a successful one!