Today – ways to make money blogging
Ways to make money blogging
I have been looking at a little article today on how to make money blogging over at Scottish Friendly and I thought what a great idea it was for an article. It’s an area I get asked to talk about regularly as I blog for a living and yet I rarely write down my tips.
People blog for many different reasons and there are many different types of blogs; some are cathartic blogs, some are memory keeping blogs (parenting blogs are often these.) Some blogs are information sharing or very niche blogs that are part of someone’s hobby. Some blogs support business’s and make the business money by driving traffic and some are commercial blogs that make an income.
How I make money from my blogs
My blogs are a complete mix! They share information, reflect my interests and hobbies, capture memories and make me an income.
The article I was reading at Scottish Friendly makes a good point:
This isn’t a get rich quick scheme, in fact quite the opposite. If you want to pursue this path it may take over a year before your start to see revenue coming through, and it will take some hard work even to get to that stage.
The majority of blogs take a good while to build up a big enough audience to warrant advertising of any kind and that can take a lot of work.
Here are my 5 top tips on making money from your blog…
1. Taking banner ads (adverts in your side bar)
2. Hosting guest posts on your blog (content others have written usually with a link their site)
3. Using affiliate links in your posts (where you get a revenue share if your readers but something from the links you have included)
4. Sponsored posts (where you are asked to write an article with a specific link within it or about a certain topic or product.)
5. Showcasing you. (Your blog is a great place to show off your skills in regard to your writing, your art, makes or whatever other skills you may have. A lot of writing work I have picked up off my blog has been the result of people reading your blog. Its like a live, ever evolving business card!)
There are many ways to make money from your blog and if it’s what you want to do you have to find what works best for your style .