Top 5 Foods That Can Be Lethal for Your Dog

Are you looking to keep your dog well-nourished and healthy? Then you have to feed them correctly. Offering your pup the food you would eat might be convenient; however, there are plenty of foods they can’t eat. Even though these foods are good for humans, they can be lethal to your dog even if ingested in little quantity.    

Dangerous Foods Your Dog Should Stay Away From  

While this is not an exhaustive list, it can help you avoid making dietary mistakes that can harm your dog or potentially kill them. Read on as we delve into the top five foods that can be lethal to your four-legged friend.    

Foods That Can Be Lethal for Your Dog

Chocolate, Caffeine, and Milk  

You might want to treat your dog to a piece of chocolate – you shouldn’t. Chocolate is composed of theobromine and caffeine that are considered toxic to dogs. These compounds can disrupt your pup’s metabolism, increase the heart rate, and stimulate the nervous system. The darker the chocolate, the more harmful it is to your pet.  

Milk and milk-based products can also trigger digestive problems and food allergies in your dog. Ingesting these foods in small amounts can be lethal to your pet, and if not treated, it can lead to death.    


Xylitol is a sugar alcohol commonly used to sweeten baked foods, toothpaste, candies, and chewing gums. While it’s safe for human consumption, it is dangerous for your furry friend.  

Ingesting foods containing xylitol can result in a drastic drop in your dog’s blood sugar. Within a few minutes, they may vomit or show signs of weakness, depression, or difficulty moving. Sometimes they may experience liver failure, seizures, coma, and ultimately death.    

Onions, Chives, Garlic, and Leeks  

These foods all belong to the allium family. They have one thing in common, among other things – the capacity to make your dog sick. These plants, when chewed, release toxic sulfur compounds into your pet’s body system. What’s more, they retain these toxic compounds even after cooking or drying. So, it doesn’t matter whether they are cooked or uncooked; they can be dangerous for your pet.  

Some pets may be unaffected by allium foods, but there have been fatalities resulting from poisoning. Symptoms of allium poisoning include lethargy, digestive problems (like vomiting and diarrhoea), and respiratory problems.    


Alcohol is considered safe for humans when consumed moderately. However, puppies cannot withstand even the slightest amount of alcohol. While alcoholic beverages are generally out of bounds for your dogs, foods like rotten apples and raw dough contain ethanol that could cause them harm.  

Symptoms of alcohol poisoning include lethargy, respiratory issues, depression, and a drop in body temperature. When consumed in larger doses, it could result in coma, seizures, lung failure, or even death.    


Foods That Can Be Lethal for Your Dog

Grapes, raisins, and Macadamia Nuts  

Grapes and raisins can make your puppy develop renal problems leading to death. Some dogs may be just fine after eating grapes or raisins while others die – but you don’t have to take that chance. Ensure that you keep your dog away from these foods.  

Note that poisoning not only occurs after eating raw grapes or raisins; this can happen even after eating foods or baked products like cakes or cookies containing these ingredients.  

Macadamia nuts are considered toxic for your pet, even when consumed in insignificant amounts. After ingesting macadamia nuts, your pet may experience coordination problems, fever, or abdominal pains. However, poisoning from this nut is hardly fatal.    


There are many other common foods not contained here that could harm your pets. Dogs sometimes ingest these foods by themselves, so ensure that you keep them out of reach. Another way you can avoid food poisoning in your canine buddy is to give them only dog foods – you can start with dehydrated dog food.  

Also, in case your pet ingests anything toxic and you notice any of these symptoms in them, consult your veterinarian or call the pet poison hotline. Never try to treat or medicate your dog except on advice from a licensed veterinarian!  


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.