Advertisement feature in collaboration with EDF Energy. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Frugal tips to save money on your energy this winter
When it comes to saving money on your energy this winter there really is a lot you can do.
1) Having boiler insurance is very important. You do not want to be without your boiler and repairs and replacements are very expensive – do make sure this is in place.
2) Shopping around for the right tariff is also uber important. Energy+BoilerCare is a new tariff from EDF Energy that comes with 6 months boiler and heating insurance included so you won’t have to worry about overwhelming and unexpected costs! I will never forget our boiler breaking down one wintertime just before Christmas and the huge expense this cost us because we weren’t insured. It was a nasty shock and something you will most definitely want to avoid. Have a look here for more information on Energy+BoilerCare.
3) Check for gaps around doors and windows and block those gaps. Insulation tape is easy to apply and inexpensive.You can buy it all good hardware shops.
4) Pile on the layers as this really does trap in heat and don’t forget your socks and slippers!
5) Manage your heating by considering one of these Smart Heating Solutions that enables you to control temperature on your thermostat even when you are not at home. This way it will be nice and toasty when you come in but not wasting heat before then.
6) Close internal doors to stop heat escaping.
7) Do consider a hot water bottle, heated blanket and a winter duvet then you can turn your heating off at night.
8) We all eat more cooked food in winter so do consider batch cooking so you still get all those lovely home cooked meals but your oven isn’t on constantly.
9) Unplug your appliances and turn off your lights. Simple and speedy solutions but they all make a difference.
10) Consider turning down the temperature of your water heater to the warm setting.
11) When you make a cup of tea fill y a flask with the hot water to save you having to reheat your kettle.
12) Change to energy saving lightbulbs – we use A LOT more artificial light in winter.
13) Open curtains /blinds in the day to let in light and close them in the evening to keep in warmth.
14) Turn down your thermostat slightly and definitely when you go out.
15) Air dry clothes in a warm room rather than turning on your tumble dryer.
Oh, I could go on! The little things really do make a difference. There are so many smart ways to save energy in winter and keep costs low. A lot of it is common sense but it really can make such a difference.
How the Amazon Echo Dot can help
You can use the Amazon Echo Dot to control lights and your heating, which can help with reducing energy usage. If you are an EDF Energy customer you can download energy skill and ask Alexa to check your energy account balance and next payment date, submit a meter reading or find out when your tariff’s due to end. This should make it easier to stay on top of your energy usage and understand it better.
Win an Amazon Echo Dot
To celebrate the launch of their fabulous new Smart Home Store, I have teamed up with EDF energy to give away an Amazon Echo Dot! Let me first tell you a little bit about their new store.
EDF Energy Smart Home Store
I am so excited to tell you about the brand new EDF Energy Smart Home Store. There are so many choices for smart products it can all be terribly confusing, can’t it? The EDF Energy Smart Home Store makes smart tech simple, helping you take the first steps towards having a smart home. We all know we need to move with the times when it comes to energy and this makes the process so much easier. Do take a look at the EDF Energy Smart Home Store It is a one-stop jargon-free shop for all your needs. Doesn’t that sound brilliant!
How to enter
All you have to do to be in with a chance of winning the Amazon Echo Dot is to enter the Rafflecopter below.
I wish you the best of luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
‘This competition starts on 1st November 2018 at 12am and ends on 1st December 2018 at 12am. The sponsor of this competition is EDF Energy. Open to legal residents of the UK who are 18 years old +. The prize is an Amazon Echo Dot, retail value approx £39.99. No purchase necessary and no cash alternative. The Winner will be selected at random by the Rafflecopter from all eligible entries received throughout the promotion period. Prize must be claimed in 7 days after announcing the winner. The winner will be contacted by the email provided and sent the prize in the post directly from EDF Energy. The winner will also be viewable on the below Rafflecopter. Any personal information supplied by you during the competition entry will only be used for contacting you if you are the winner and not for any other purpose. Good luck!’